Higher Education Management for Leadership Development
Developing Individual and Organizational Leaders
Traditionally,personal leadership development in higher education and the non-profit sector has focused on a cookie cutter approach at developing the leadership abilities and attitudes of individuals.
Just as people are not all born with the ability or desire to play professional sports or sing like opera star Luciano Pavarotti, people are not all born with the ability to lead. Different personal traits and characteristics can help or hinder a person's leadership effectiveness.
The consulting team at G. Patnode Company specializes in providing formalized programs and coaching for developing leadership competencies by capitalizing on individual strengths. With our focused guidance, we can assure that everyone can develop their leadership effectiveness.
The G Patnode company facilitators can help you develop and deliver customized classroom-style training or one on one executive coaching.
The success of leadership development efforts has been linked to three variables:
- Individual learner characteristics
- The quality and nature of the leadership development program
- Genuine support for behavioral change from the leader's supervisor
Our development processes will:
- Integrate a range of developmental experiences over a set period of time. These experiences may include 360 degree feedback, experiential classroom style programs, business school style coursework, executive coaching, reflective journaling, mentoring and more.
- Involve goal setting, following an assessment of key developmental needs and then evaluate the achievement of goals after a given time period.
Among key concepts in leadership development one may find:
- Experiential learning: positioning the individual in the focus of the learning process, going through the four stages of experiential learning as formulated by David A. Kolb: 1. concrete experience 2. observation and reflection 3. forming abstract concept 4. testing in new situations.
- Self efficacy: The right training and coaching should bring about 'Self efficacy' in the trainee, a person's belief about his capabilities to produce effects.
- Visioning: Developing the ability to formulate a clear image of the aspired future of an organization unit.
A good personal leadership development program should enable you to develop a plan that helps you gain essential leadership skills required for roles across a wide spectrum of those needed in a professional organizational environment.
Developing Leadership at a Collective Level
More recently, organizations have come to understand that leadership can also be developed by strengthening the connection between, and alignment of, the efforts of individual leaders and the systems through which they influence organizational operations. This has led to a differentiation between leader development and leadership development.
Higher education management for leadership development can build on the development of individuals (including followers) to become leaders. In addition, it also needs to focus on the interpersonal linkages between the individuals in the team.